The Mercosul Biennial Foundation, a private foundation based in Porto Alegre, Brazil, is searching for an artistic director to lead the artistic vision for the 7th edition of the Mercosul Biennial to be held in September-November 2009.
The 6th edition of Mercosul Biennial was held from 1 September – 18 November 2007 under the chief curatorship of Gabriel Pérez-Barreiro. This edition, which attracted over 500,000 visitors, continued to consolidate the Biennial’s position as a leading cultural event in South America, with an important international echo.
The Foundation defines its goals for the future of the Biennial along the following principles:
- A focus on the contribution of the Biennial to society, a search for real benefits to its audiences, partners, and supporters.
- Closeness to contemporary artistic creation and critical discourse.
- Transparency of purpose and process.
- Priority investment in education and communication.
- Establishment of the Biennial as a leader in the area of art and education, and research in this area.
In accordance with these principles, the successful candidate will:
- Define and execute the artistic vision, nature, and range of the curatorial and educational project for the 7th Mercosul Biennial.
- Assemble the curatorial team.
- Work with the educational staff to guide the programs and mechanisms to ensure a productive relationship with the audiences and partners.
- Define the nature and character of the exhibitions, publications, and programs.
Interested candidates should send a short CV, writing samples, and a letter of intent by 25 March 2008, laying out the basic principles along which he/she would go about organizing a biennial exhibition. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to produce a more detailed proposal, for which they will be compensated. The successful candidate will ideally start work in May 2008.
Contact: Presidencia, Fundacao Bienal do Mercosul, Rua General Andrade Neves, 9, 4o andar, 90010-210 Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil; tel.: +55 51 32547500; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; www.bienalmercosul.art.br