Launch of EU-ACP Website and Support Programme
The Secretariat of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (ACP Secretariat) recently launched the EU-ACP Support Programme to Cultural Industries in ACP Countries website and call for proposals. The Programme is funded by the European Commission, managed and implemented by the Secretariat of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (ACP). It is open to the 79 African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the 15 European Union Member States that are signatories to the 9th European Development Fund (EDF).
The general objective of the Programme is to contribute to poverty reduction and sustainable development through the promotion of an enabling environment for creativity, cooperation and exchanges, independence and viability of the cultural sector in the ACP States, as well as the safeguarding of cultural diversity and fundamental cultural values.
It aims at reinforcing the capacities of policy and decision makers, cultural operators and certain domains of culture and cultural industries in the ACP countries, and it is structured around three complementary components:
- the establishment of an ACP Cultural Observatory as a mechanism for providing technical advice and information in order to improve the policy, legal and institutional frameworks of the sector;
- an ACP/ILO/UNCTAD/UNESCO joint project to strengthen the creative industries in 5 selected ACP countries (Fiji, Mozambique, Senegal, Trinidad and Tobago and Zambia), implemented by the UN agencies;
- a grant scheme seeking to reinforce the technical, financial and managerial capacities of ACP cultural operators and cultural industries.
The 2,3 million euro grants programme aims to strengthen the ACP cultural industries domain by supporting cultural actions that demonstrate an outlook that goes beyond local and national interests, able to generate a distinct ACP-integration added value. The programme is open to all cultural domains except cinema and audiovisual, covered by a separate EU-ACP Support Programme to ACP Cinema and Audiovisual.
Grants are awarded, following a selection process, to two types of actions:
- multi-annual cooperation projects: cofinancement will be provided for projects in partnership with a multiregional outlook, comprising a number of multi-annual cultural activities aiming to a better structured and professionalized ACP cultural sector.
- cooperation measures: cofinancement will be provided for pilot innovative partnership actions in the field of cultural industries, of a shorter duration and smaller scale compared to multi-annual cooperation projects. Projects may be sectoral or cross-sectoral in nature.
Applicants must act with ACP partner organisations and cofinance the action. Guidelines for Applicants are available at www.acpcultures.eu. The deadline for submission of proposals is 28 November 2008.