European Year of Intercultural Dialogue 2008
Aiming to present, within the framework of the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue, a wide variety of enriching concrete projects that will be implemented through EU programmes and other Community actions, the European Commission DG Education and Culture has launched a call for proposals ending on 31 July 2007. The Year will encourage the mobilisation of civil society and actors at the European, national and local levels. Culture, education, youth, sport and citizenship are the main implementation fields.
Overall objectives include:
- promoting intercultural dialogue as a process in which all those living in the EU can improve their ability to deal with a more open, but also more complex, cultural environment;
- highlighting intercultural dialogue as an opportunity to contribute to and benefit from a diverse and dynamic society, not only in Europe but also in the world;
- raising the awareness of all those living in the EU, in particular young people, of the importance of developing an active European citizenship which is open to the world;
- highlighting the contribution of different cultures and expressions of cultural diversity to the heritage and ways of life of the Member States.
Specific objectives are to:
- seek to raise the awareness of all those living in the EU, in particular young people, of the importance of engaging in intercultural dialogue in their daily life;
- work to identify, share and give a visible European recognition to best practices in promoting intercultural dialogue throughout the EU, specially among young people and children;
- foster the role of education as an important medium for teaching about diversity, increasing the understanding of other cultures and developing skills and best social practices, and highlighting the central role of the media in promoting the principle of equality and mutual understanding;
- raise the profile, increase the coherence of and promote all Community programmes and actions contributing to intercultural dialogue and ensure their continuity;
- contribute to exploring new approaches to intercultural dialogue involving cooperation between a wide range of stakeholders from different sectors.
Two calls for proposals have been launched: an open call which will support up to 10 transnational European projects and a restricted one for an additional 27 projects, one from each Member State.
Support will be given to a limited number of emblematic actions on a European scale aimed at promoting intercultural dialogue, involving directly or otherwise reaching as many people as possible, and highlighting achievements and experiences on the theme of the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue 2008.
The aim is to raise awareness of the objectives of the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue 2008 and to underline the meaning and importance of intercultural dialogue, illustrating various areas, methods and dimensions of intercultural dialogue in the EU in a manner which is visible and attractive, particularly (but not exclusively) to young people.
Budget: each grant will amount to between minimum EUR 200 000 and maximum EUR 400 000, and the Commission contribution will not exceed 80 % of total eligible cost.
Eligible establishments/bodies/types of beneficiary:
- a public or private body having experience in the field of intercultural dialogue and whose registered office is located in one of the 27 EU Member States,
- such bodies have to carry out their activities at European level, alone or in the form of various coordinated associations, and their structure and activities shall have a potential influence at EU level.
The restricted call aims to co-finance actions on a national scale with a strong European dimension, directly involving or otherwise reaching as many people as possible, with particular attention being given to actions relating to civic education and learning to appreciate other people and their differences. This grant, which may cover up to 50% of total costs, will be awarded to 27 projects (one per Member State). Eligibility for this Call is restricted to the national coordinating bodies responsible for the coordination of the Year 2008 in each Member State.
More information is available at ec.europa.eu/culture/eac/dialogue/open_07_2007_en.html and ec.europa.eu/culture/eac/dialogue/restricted_08_2007_en.html