India Foundation for the Arts Fellowships
India Foundation for the Arts (IFA) announces up to four fellowships, each for a duration of one year, to be awarded to artists and curators keen to enrich their practice through engaging in archival research and employing materials from the archive for the creation of artworks or exhibitions. These fellowships are a response to the urgent need to activate public institutional archives in India, while simultaneously addressing the research impulse inherent in artistic and curatorial projects. IFA aims to see archives functioning less as mere repositories, and more as sites actively influencing discourse and creativity in the arts. Through creative interventions by artists and curators keen to challenge and enrich their own arts practice, it is hoped that public institutional archives will be encouraged to recognize their role as active participants in the arts. This endeavour is also in keeping with IFA's objective of nurturing an environment for critical and reflective arts practice.
Proposals are solicited from artists and curators who have conceptualized a project (either an artistic or curatorial pursuit) that requires significant research and access to materials within public institutional archives.
To apply, please send a proposal describing:
- your existing practice and your concerns and interests as an artist or curator,
- your project idea and how your engagement with the archive(s) is central to the project,
- the archive(s) you wish to work with and the nature of their holding - audio, video, film, photographs, objects, documents and manuscripts,
- the proposed outcome of your project and how you imagine this outcome will be placed in the public domain,
- a work plan for the duration of the fellowship.
You are eligible to apply if you are an Indian national, or have been resident in India for at least five years. Final applications should reach the IFA address below no later than 15 October 2013.
For more information please contact Rashmi Sawhney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please address your application to: The Archival Fellowships, India Foundation for the Arts, Apurva, Ground floor, No 259, 4th Cross, Raj Mahal Vilas, 2nd Stage, 2nd Block, Bengaluru 560094, India; tel.: 080 23414681/82; www.indiaifa.org