The Network Society
Third Edition, by Jan van Dijk, University of Twente, the Netherlands, SAGE Publications Ltd, 2012, 336 pages, ISBN: 9781446248966
The Network Society, written by Jan van Dijk, is now more than ever an essential guide to the past, consequences and future of digital communication. Fully revised, this Third Edition covers crucial new issues and updates, including:
- the long history of social media and Web 2.0: why it's not as new as we think;
- digital youth culture as a foreshadow of future new media use;
- the struggle for control of the Internet among Microsoft, Google, Apple and Facebook;
- the contribution of media networks to the current financial crisis;
- complete update of the literature on the facts, theories, trends and technologies of the Internet; and
- new features for students with boxes of chapter questions, conclusions and boxed explanations of key concepts.
This book remains an accessible, comprehensive, must-read introduction to how new media function in contemporary society. The publication is aimed at upper-level undergraduate and postgraduate students of media studies, new media, media and cultural policy/economics, digital culture, and sociology modules dealing with the Internet and mass media.
Chapter one of the book is available for free download from http://www.uk.sagepub.com/upm-data/47624_Van_Dijk.pdf